Those of you who have been following along with the 12 Weeks to a Peaceful Christmas series probably began your Christmas shopping weeks ago. For others, these final days of November (especially Black Friday here in the United States) are when the inertia and adrenaline of the holiday shopping season kick into high-gear.
As I planned out my own list of Christmas gifts this year, I decided this would be the first year I would not purchase anything from a big box store. I hope to take it a step further by buying handmade whenever possible.
Buying handmade items for babies, toddlers, and young children is generally very easy. There is no shortage of lovely handmade dolls, cars, and clothing to be found. Shopping for the older children and teenagers, however, can prove to be a little more challenging.
Here are some handmade gift ideas that might work wonderfully for the teen or tween in your life:
Jewelry and Accessories
Photo by Atelier Encantado
- For young women – tile pendant necklaces, crystal name bracelets, retro-inspired wallets, or unique hair pins
- For young men – leather strap keyfob, beads and number necklace, money clip, or military-inspired charm chain
- For young women – hand-knit hat, felted slippers, charming skirt, or cozy pajamas
- For young men – hand-knit hat, funny t-shirts, funky hoody, or a knit gnome beard
GamesPhoto by shoobydooby
- handcrafted chess set
- triangle solitare
- custom photo jigsaw puzzle
- vintage playing cards (technically not handmade, but definitely not big box!)
Miscellaneous IdeasPhoto by alancleaver
- funky journal
- iPhone/iPod case
- hand held video game case (for guys or girls)
- sports salve
- gift baskets of favorite snacks, cocoa, collectibles, or magazines
Most importantly, remember to give the gift of yourself – your time, energy, and interest. The focused and intentional time spent with the tween or teen in your life is sure to create memories that will last far longer than even the most meaningful gift you choose.
Do you find shopping for older children and teenagers to be exhilarating or exhausting? What gift ideas would you add to this list?top photo source